I woke up early saturday morning and decided to hit the gym (I’ve been eating way too much)!! Had lunch plans with Ree-O at 1pm, but she suddenly got done with her apartment hunting early so we met up in Shibs (渋谷 Shibuya). We couldn’t decide where to eat, so since I’m totally on an all my French binge we decided to try Bistro Gourmand (ビストロ グルマン) in Spain-zaka (スペイン坂).
1. Spain-zaka got is name because the street is lined with red bricks (can’t really tell in the pic) which is supposed to remind you of the streets in Spain. 2. Bistro Gourmand is on the second floor, from the outside it looks small, but inside it’s actually quite large!
1. When we first stepped into the restuarnat you can see the open kitchen with 3 chefs preparing food. It smelled wonderful. 2. The tables were covered with red and white gingham tablecloths. It was very quaint. I loved the metal gate light fixtures
1. The menu was a large chalkboard placed on the table, which totally reminded me of being Paris. The waiter explained everything and we ordered our lunch–I was having the one plate lunch with grilled pork (needed meat after my workout-hahah) and Ree-O was having hers with fish. 2. To start off the meal we had an aperitif of light white wine to stimulate our appetites.
The one plate lunch comes with a leafy green salad, turnip potage, freshly baked bread, your choice of main entrée with mashed potatoes or butter rice, bread pudding, and coffee. It was all carried and delivered on a cute little tray. The turnip potage soup was great!! I liked to dip my bread in it.
1. My grilled pork fillet (茶美豚の炭火焼き). The mashed potatoes were creamy and wonderful 2. Ree-O’s Snapper poêlé (目鯛のポワレ). Ree-O said it was good. It looked delish. Next time i will try the fish i think.
The meal was so filing, we both couldn’t believe it was only 1000 yen (about $11 usd)!! This gorgeous meal was so reasonably priced but it tasted way over 1000 yen!! We ended the meal with bread pudding (i forgot to snap a pic–oops) and coffee. My dad loves bread pudding so every time I eat it i think of him….and my sis’ rendition of bread pudding-with banana slices and choco chips topped with vanilla ice ! Yum!! So we chatted it up and let our tummies settle.
I love trying new restaurants. There are just so many in every corner and nook of the city. Usually when i walk around i only look only at the first floor of buildings, but this year i am going to make it a point to try more places on the second floor and above. What kind of special lunch plates are in your hood?
ms fancy pants tokyo
(Quick fashion check WOOL CARDIGAN//J.Crew VINTAGE COTTON T-SHIRT//J.Crew CASHMERE SCARF//Etro STEVIE ANKLE JEANS// AG jeans)
- Bistro Gourmand (ビストロ グルマン)
- 16-14 Udagawacho, Shibuya-ku Tokyo
- 2F Patio Bldg
- Mon-Fri 11:30-15:00, 18:00-23:30
- Sat-Sun 11:30-15:00, 17:00-22:30