Yesterday Boo-chan and I were on an eating frenzy. Even though it was a freezing cold day and snow flurries were coming down we decided to be out and about. we went to lunch in the hood (yoyogi-hachiman 代々木八幡) at this restaurant called Sekiguchi Tei (せきぐち亭).
Sekiguchi Tei is a cozy little family style restaurant situated close to the station. It’s decorated in red and white with gingham tablecloths. They hung framed artwork of Curious George on the walls.
1. On every table was a small board in the shape of a tea pot which displayed the lunch menu. This menu changes periodically. 2. Each lunch comes with a set salad. It was great how they topped the salad with a boiled egg. But the egg was cut into small pieces and sprinkled on the top. The salad was served with a Japanese sesame dressing.
1. The concept of Sekiguchi Tei is “western food that suits the Japanese taste”, so all dishes are served with 3 things: rice, miso soup, and soy sauce. 2. I had the swordfish meuniere with Japanese sauce and mushrooms (カジキマグロムニエル：キノコ入和風ソース) 3. Boo-chan had the 200g hamburg steak with demi-glace sauce (ハンバーグステーキ：デミグラスソース) both entrees where served with a side of spinach and pasta.
I liked my swordfish especially with the variety of Japanese mushrooms. I also had a bite of Boo-chan’s hamburg steak. It was delish and very fluffy. It reminded me of a tasty home-cooked meal. It was cold and I didn’t want to go back outside, but we needed to go shopping in Shibs (渋谷 Shibuya). Atleast I was full and happy, so we paid the bill and left.
Off to Shibs we went. It was time for shopping. Boo-chan was looking for some clothes he needs to wear at a party coming up. so we went around many places. After a couple of hours of shopping, it was time for a break. Boo-chan wanted to eat cake at Harbs in Hikarie but we were on the other side of Shibs and it was too cold for me to walk all the way there, so i just picked the closet cafe, which happened to be Ballo Ballo (バロバロ渋谷) . I walk by this cafe all the time, so it was time to finally check it out.
1. Ballo Ballo is in the basement of the Tokyu Hands (東急ハンズ) building. 2. I thought this was going to be a small cafe but it turned out to be really spacious. The first thing i noticed was the large paintings on the wall, and of course the disco ball. This is a stylish designers cafe/restaurant that serves Italian food and has comfy sofas, and chairs to relax in. It also turns into a lounge at night and can be rented out for parties.
Boo-chan and I ordered the sweets set- which is a dessert and your choice of drink. 1. Boo-chan ordered the coconut latte (ココナッツラテ). He was about to put brown sugar in it, good thing he tried it first because it was already sweet enough 2. I decided to try a similar drink, but with tea and not coffee, coconut milk tea latte (ココナッツミルクティーラテ). This was delish, and ofcourse sweet- just like I like it. hahahha
Our waffles–of course we had two separate ones. hahaha. I thought the waffles were going to be made fresh, but i suspect that they were store bought. hahaha. They we sweet and delish but the berries were still frozen and some were so tart! It was good, but not exactly what I was expecting.
Today was cold and snowy so wasn’t the best day for a fashion check…1. Boo-chan: WOOL HAT//Y-3 Scarf//Dolce & Gabbana SWEATER// H&M COAT//H&M 2. me: CASHMERE SHAWL//Burberry Prorsum Shirt// left of center (Anthropologie) I know these pics you cant even really see our outfits. Sorry!!
So after eating sweet waffles and drinking sweet drinks I wanted to eat something salty–go fig right. But Boo-chan and I decided we’d wait for dinner. Back to shopping. This time it wasn’t for clothes but a new cell phone!! So after a couple of hours, Boo-chan finally got his new cell!! Anyways dinner was a Chinese hot pot place (中国火鍋専門店).
We went to Shao Fuei Yan (小肥羊). We usually eat Japanese style hot pot, so it was a nice spicy change.
1. We orderd the enjoyable course (満喫コース). It comes with lamb and pork, a variety or veggies, rice noodles, shrimp /fish dumplings. After you are done eating you add ramen noodles to finish it off, and then dessert. 2. The hot pot has two different soups- one is a white broth (paitan) and the other is areally spicy broth (mala). Since Boo-chan and I don’t like really spicy food, we chose the least spicy (which was actually still really spicy).
1. In the the broth of the hot pot was garlic, ginger slices, red dates, ginseng, blue ginger, pepper, cardamon, longan, angelica, and wolfberry seeds. It was very medical but good at the same time. I think i ate one too many garlic cloves. It’s so good for your body, so I wanted to eat them all. It tastes great when you eat them with either the pork or lamb. 2. I love pork, but the lamb was also good too. It’s a great source of high quality protein, minerals, and vitamins. It is nutritional and good for health conscious people.
After eating all the meat and veggies, we were sooooo full. But we weren’t done yet, the waiter then brings out ramen noodles. We added them to the both broths and ate a little more. It tasted great, but we were just too full to finish everything. We did eat our desserts though. It was a small almond pudding (杏仁豆腐).
Yesterday was sooo cold and windy, not to mention it did snow earlier in the day. No wonder we ate and ate and ate. hahaha. (I’ll blame in on the weather). But that Chinese hot pot did warm our bodies, and we could walk home happily. So what do you like to eat when its cold outside?
ms fancy pants tokyo & almond pudding
- Sekiguchi Tei (せきぐち亭)
- 1-52-1 Tomigaya, Shibuya-ku Tokyo
- Mon-Fri 11:30-14:30, 18:00-21:30
- Sat-Holidays 11:00-14:00, 18:00-21:00
- Sun 18:00-21:00
- Ballo Ballo (バロバロ渋谷)
- 12-18 Udagawacho, Shibuya-ku Tokyo
- B1 Tokyu Hands
- Mon-Sun 11:45-24:00
- Shao Fuei Yan (小肥羊)
- 30-4 Udagawacho, Shibuya-ku Tokyo
- 1F Shin-Iwasaki Bldg
- Mon-Thurs, Sun 11:30-14:00, 17:00-23:30
- Fri-Sat/Day Before Holiday 11:30-24:00